Listen Live on  

989 Radio Now

Louisville's #1 Hit Music Station

Amoebas Eat Contact Lens Wearer's Eyeballs

Amoebas Eat Contact Lens Wearer's Eyeballs
Posted July 14th, 2014 @ 4:13pm by Rob Quinn, Newser Staff

(NEWSER) – Doctors hope a horrifying story out of Taiwan will help drive home the importance of proper hygiene for wearers of contact lenses. A 23-year-old student lost her eyesight after buying contact lenses that were supposed to be worn for one month and leaving them in around the clock for six months, leading to an infection by amoebas that gnawed away the corneas in both her eyes, the China Post reports. The microscopic Acanthamoeba parasite is found in environments including soil, dust, and swimming pools, and doctors believe the woman became infected after using dirty water to clean her face.

Read the full story on


Photo: Shutterstock

Recommended Stories

More from 989 Radio Now